Samsung did not sell that many Samsung Galaxy Folds after all
In a rather embarrassing blunder, Samsung Electronics president Sohn Young-kwon has confused the sales numbers of the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Yesterday, he claimed that Samsung has sold 1 million Galaxy Folds in an interview with TechCrunch, only to be debunked by Samsung themselves.
Analysts have previously predicted that Samsung will sell around 500 000 units of the Galaxy Fold, so the numbers claimed by Sohn was definitely an eye-opener to the public’s acceptance of a flawed and expensive smartphone. Not to mention Samsung’s ability to mass produce such a complex device.
A Samsung spokesman has stepped forward to explain that Sohn may have mixed up the Samsung Galaxy Fold’s sales target with the actual sales figures for the device.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specs
- Snapdragon 855, octa-core up to 2.84 GHz, 7nm FinFET
- 12GB RAM
- 512GB UFS 3.0 storage
- 4.6″ HD+ Super AMOLED (outside) + 7.3″ QXGA+ Infinity Flex AMOLED display (inside)
- 12MP F1.5/F2.4 primary + 12MP f/2.4 2x telephoto + 16MP f/2.2 ultra-wide
- 10MP f/2.2 + 8MP f/1.9 depth sensor selfie camera
- 4380 mAh battery (15W wired and wireless charging)
We do expect Samsung’s push for foldable smartphones to yield some interesting results in 2020, with a different approach to foldable smartphones coming soon.
Pokdepinion: I definitely look forward to 2020 and the second generation of the Galaxy Fold.